Top 20 Search Engine Optimisation Basics for Websites:
What IS SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) now?
Updated Jan 2023
SEO has really changed in the few years , after all Google’s Updates and changes to their algorithms, especially now with personalised search and more AI involvement!
Outdated SEO techniques CAN hurt your business on Google.
Hubspot recently stated this :
When asked to explain what SEO is, I often choose to call it a strategy to ensure that when someone Googles your product or service category, they find your website.
But this simplifies the discipline a bit.
There are a ton of ways to improve the SEO of your site pages. Search engines look for elements including title tags, keywords, image tags, internal link structure, and inbound links (also known as backlinks).
Search engines also look at site structure and design, visitor behaviour, and other external, off-site factors to determine how highly ranked your site should be in their SERPs.
With all of these factors taken into account, SEO primarily drives two things — rankings and visibility.
Here is a handy Checklist list of ‘Must Do’s” from Google themselves on the subject.
Correct SEO :
- Create unique, accurate Page titles
- Make use of the “description” Meta tag
- Improve your Site Structure
- Improve the structure of your URLs
- Make your site easier to navigate
- Optimise your Content ( eg articles, videos, images)
- Offer quality content and services
- Write better ‘anchor text’
- Optimize your use of images ( Do you know what ‘Alt Text’ is?)
- Use Heading tags appropriately
- Dealing with Crawlers
- Make effective use of robots.txt
- Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links
- SEO for Mobile Phones – It’s DIFFERENT!
- Notify Google of mobile sites
- Guide mobile users accurately
- Promotions and Analysis
- Promote your website in the right ways
- Make use of free webmaster tools ( now called ‘Search Console’
- Be VERY careful with Linking!For a Quote OR an SEO Site Review / help with fixing your site’s SEO – Schedule a Free Strategy Call or Get Started here