This Broken Link Checker Plugin by Janis Elsts will check your posts, comments and other content for broken links and missing images- and notify you if any are found.
Download the version that was available when we wrote this post here:broken-link-checker.1.8
For updates, support and to check if you have the latest version Click here.
*This Post was updated July 2023
Please note that some Hosts like WP Engine often ‘disallow’ Plugins if they feel there is ant vulnerability.
Read the WP Engine List and reasons :
“We recommend that you use one of the following tools to check your site for broken links.
As they are not plugins these will not have a negative effect on your site’s performance.
- Broken Link Check — Online, limited to 3000 pages.
- LinkChecker — Windows, Mac & Linux
- Integrity — Mac only
Another is Link Checker tool for checking links externally, which explains why you need to stay on top of this:
“404 and similar errors on websites are not just annoying – those may cause some real damage to your online business as well as to your reputation in the Internet!
Because of dead hyperlinks, a web-site may:
- Lose some of the existing client base (current users sooner or later will get frustrated enough with Page Not Found messages to never come back)
- Get problems with acquiring new customers (because of the dead weblinks people simply won’t be finding things/pages they are looking for).
- Damage your reputation online (most visitors consider errors like that to be a sign of laziness and disrespect to them)
- Negatively impact your website ranking with major search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.”
NOTE: Google really dislikes broken links.
Need Help with broken links? Book a Free call today!